Much to Brayden's chagrin Tavita got to start school 1 1/2 weeks ahead of him (for some reason Kindergarten starts later then the rest of the schools here). Tavita was excited to go to the school "where you get a blanket and have a castle party." It's the same preschool Brayden went to 2 years ago (My Smartworld). It's a great school, very interactive, lots of arts and crafts, music, and incredible teachers; but I didn't want to go back since it was in Lindon (15 minute drive). I know it sounds whiny but when you pass at least 4 other preschools and are tracking through snow it's not fun.
Anyway, after enduring an entire year of listening to Brayden say how much he missed his old preschool and Tavita say how much he wanted to go to Brayden's old school we caved. Actually it was after our good friends/neighbors said they wanted to send their daughter so carpooling came into play which meant only driving half the time.
It has worked out really well and Tavita enjoys school. He loves all the different crafts they do and is always walking around the house singing songs he's learned.
Here's a rundown of how a day goes when Tavita gets home.
M: How was your day?
T: Good
M: What did you do/learn?
T: Played on the playground and I don't know.
(after about 1 1/2 months of this response and me going through his backpack to try and figure it out it has become this )
T: Why don't you look in my backpack and find out!
M: Oh, it looks like you learned about the letter S. What sound does the letter S make?
T: I have NOOOOO idea
M (in my head): Wow, that's $135 well spent!
He is starting to recognize his numbers and letters and is always trying to sound words out to read so I know it's sticking, he apparently just doesn't want to show it.
His coloring has gotten very good and he talks constantly about all his friends he's made. His best friend at school is Aiden.
I was actually on bedrest for Tavita's first day of school so I didn't get any pictures. Here are some I snapped the following week.
2 uncooperative preschoolers and 1 very hopeful little girl (she was quite upset when I didn't let her stay with Tavita and Emma)

Tavita and his teacher Ms. Diana

Brayden was sooooo excited to start kindergarten, ride the bus and go to school with the "big kids". For the 1 1/2 weeks Tavita and his friends that are in 1st/2nd grade went to school, Brayden was going through sheer torture.
The night before his 1st day of school he laid out his clothes, filled his water bottle, packed a snack and made sure he had everything packed and ready to go for the next day.
That morning he was up and trying to head out the door at 6:30 am. Problem is his bus doesn't come until 8:08 and he only has about 100 yards to trek to get there. Finally at 7:55 I broke down to his begging and we departed for his day. Tavita hoped on his bike, Kalei was in the stroller and we started at a nice leisurely walk that lasted to the end of our driveway. He caught a glimpse of his friend Jeremy who was just as excited to start kindergarten. So our walk turned into this:

The Parent Paparazzi was out in full force that morning to snatch some pics of all this:

Here is Brayden with his 2 best buddies. Carson (the big 1st grader) was more then happy to show Brayden and Jeremy the ropes.
Here's my baby getting on the bus (I may or may not be one of those mom's that cry as their kids go off to school)

After he got on the bus, the kids and I quickly loaded into the van and followed the bus so we could see Brayden at school (I had just wanted to drive him for his first day but he was adament he be allowed to ride the bus)
Here's our big boy ready to step foot into a real classroom for the first time.

Brayden and his incredible teacher Ms. Francis (The 1st day of school happened to be yellow day, Brayden was totally prepared and didn't even know it!)

Our neighborhood had a HUGE group head of to kindergarten this year so we had to get a picture of all of them when they got off the bus (3 of them escaped home before we got the picture). It's so fun to watch this swarm of little people pile off the bus.

The kids' trek home went much like their trek to the bus stop.
Two happy boys, feeling very grown up after their first day!
Brayden has done very well in kindergarten so far. I had a hard time at first when the work he was doing was more simplistic then the work Tavita was bringing home (they spent the 2 weeks of school learning colors, Kalei could've kept up) but it seems like their slowly becoming more academic. He has started learning more sight words and his cutting skills have really improved.
I recently went to parent-teacher conference and his teacher had nothing but good to say about him. He's excelling in all aspects of school and his the "leader" in the class.
He has already gone through 2 girlfriends, whom he proudly admits to holding hands with but knows better then try to kiss them because "their daddy's will come after me." (His daddy is passing wisdom on to him)
If you ask him what he likes best about school he'll proudly say "Riding the bus and recess"
What can I say, we have 2 academically focused boys!
1 comment:
tooooo fast!!!
Post a Comment