Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Great Flood

You want crazy weather? Come to Utah!!!
A few weeks back we were enjoying a typical sunny summer day. Just as it was getting time for Junior to come home it started clouding up and sprinkling some so I called and asked if he wanted a ride home (he rides his bike to work). He said he guessed so (had no idea it had gone cloudy so wasn't sure why I was asking) I hung up the phone and told the kids to get in the car. On their way out it litterally started raining harder then I've ever seen in my life (beat any storm in Hawaii). By the time I raced out to save them it started hailing and HARD and the wind blew HARD. Keep in mind that 15 minutes earlier and had been clear blue skies. We got Junior and headed home and went back to clear skies but in the 15 minute downpour it left quite a bit of damage.
Our basement flooded! We have a seperate entrance down there. It rained so hard that the drain in front of the door couldn't drain fast enough and in just started filling the stairwell. Luckily we have a nice flat foor so it just kept filling the basement with 1/4-1/2 in of water, never deep enough to really go over the lip of the transition piece from the wood laminate to the carpet. But man was there a lot of water everywhere. I grabbed the shop vac and started vaccuming up a storm while Junior ran to see if he could get the drain going faster. He pounds on the window and says not to open the door (I was just about to). The stairwell was so full it was up and over the first step. Luckily all went smoothly and everyting was cleaned up with no damage.
Once we got this relatively clean, I left Junior to finish (I'm so good and making him do all the work!) and took the kids to swim.
Where you ask?
Why in the street of course!




These pics were taken 1/2 hour after the rain subsided so the water had already started going down the storm drains but there was stil A LOT of water left. It nearly reached some peoples front doors.
And that my friends is Utah weather for you!

2 comments:

Luke and Erin said...

This must have been while we were up north??? Man, I am a little sad we missed out in swimming in the street! HA!

Katie Fish said...

Sounds like Denver weather. We have beautiful blue skies/sun shining weather in the morning and afternoons and then awesome thundery/rainy/hail(y?) late afternoon storms almost every day. I kinda love it. We have lots of time to play in the warm sunshine and then get to enjoy awesome thunderstorms almost every day around late afternoon naps. It typically clears up after an hour or so. We even have flash flood warnings all the time, although I've never seen it like yours. That's crazy!