Saturday, March 13, 2010

The perks of being a Dad

I have some pics to catch up on but thought that I'd share our dinner conversation with you all first. Here's how it went:
We were talking about Tavita's upcoming birthaday. He kept insisting that even after he had a birthday he'd still be two. Brayden asked why Tavita wanted to stay 2 and I said "Cause he wants to stay me little boy forever and ever."
Brayden quickly informed me that he wasn't going to stay little but keep growing bigger and bigger. I told him that was fine but he'd still always be my little boy. He said, "Yeah I know. And when I get really big and you're old I'm gonna take care of you." (carryover from another conversation we previously had.)
M: "That's right ( I turn to Jr) Apparently when we get old he'll take care of us and pour us cereal."
B (with a very concerned look):"But, what happens when I keep getting bigger and older and soon we're ALL old. Who's gonna take care of us then."
M: "Well, then your kids will take care of us."
(Brayden is now very confused)
M: "When you grow up you get to be a daddy. Didn't you know that?"
(Now Brayden is giddy from excitment)
B: "I get to be a daddy! I can't wait!!!"
M: "Why can't you wait to be a dad?"
B:" Cause then I get to marry my girlfriend!!"
(Apparently this girlfriend has yet to be decided, he's just very excited to marry her)
Throughout the rest of dinner, Brayden continued to be elated and would burst out with things like:
"I get to go on vacation whenever I want."
"I'm gonna stay up at night and watch movies."
"I'm gonna hang out at my friends house ALL the time."
I finally asked him, "Brayden, who's going to take care of your kids when your off doing all these fun things."
He looked at me like I couldn't be much dumber, "Uhh, you mom. You're gonna be their grandma!" (must admit I was a little impressed he caught on to that)
But of course! That's exactly how parenthood works. THe parents get to run about and play without a care in the world and the grandmas stay home slaving over the kids. Apparently we need to let Grandma do a little more playing when she's here!

4 comments:

April said...

hahaha...that brayden is one smart little cookie!

sanaejames photography said...

isn't that so true though? I was cracking up the whole time!

Patterson Family said...

They are smart! My kids would probably be the most excited to eat cereal whenever they wanted. I love conversations like that!

kuaback said...

aawww...that is so so cute...love n miss u guys