Sunday, August 23, 2009

Inspired

Okay Staci, after reading your post on how important jounaling is you've inspired me to try and post daily, even if I don' thav time to get pictures and everything else up and going. Junior was really good at writing in his journal while we were dating at it really is so fun to go back and read how our relationship developed, I however didn't write once! I look at my kids and see how fast they are growing. Whenever they do/say something funny/memorable I always think, "Oh I'll never forget that", but the truth of it is that we do forget. So my renewed resolution is to record at least something. For starters, here's a catch up of the past month, we've been BUSY! Ith the remodel and refinance done, we're trying really hard to take a lot of family outings before the weather is too cold to do so. Here's a reacap of what we've done.

Unfortuantely I've forgotten my camera for some of the things like our hike to Battle Creek Falls (Brayden got his first wasp sting but was so excited for the hike that he insisted we still go and he hiked the whole way without a complaint) and our trip to the new Lindon Aquatic Park (Brayden discovered how to "swim" underwater and refused to use floaties and Tavita kept trying to sneak into the "bubbles" (hot tub) even though he was underage)

Fathers and Sons
First weekend of August. The boys LOVE this campout and still remembered much of it from last year. They were packed first thing Friday morning and spent all day carrying around their backpacks and wearing sunglasses until Junior got home. They had a lot of fun roasting hot dogs and marshmallows, playing with friends, shooting bb guns, playing in the woods and creek.





Tavita is Potty Trained!!!
Because he's not much of a talker and always so active I thought Tavita would be a tough one to potty train. I was wrong!!! It was like one day he just got sick of wearing diapers and was potty-trained in a week. He rarely even has accidents at nights!
He's such a half pint but refuses to use his little toilet. However, he gets scared he's going to fall in when he's sitting on a big toilet. He came up with quite the solution an basically LAYS on the toilet. Let's just say he's got to go Mommy's way when he's on a public toilet.
However, when he's playing spiderman, he feels the need to use the toilet like spiderman. Just don't look too closely for unpleasant images in the toilet!


Little "Lei Lei"
Kalei is getting bigger and bigger. I can't believe she's already 3 months!!! She is a very talkative and smiley baby. I love that you just need to look at her and you're rewarded with a giant smile. It's so fun to coo at her becuase she starts squealing louder and louder. She however GREATLY dislikes yelling. If her brothers start screaming and crying, rest assured she'll join in. It stops them pretty quickly because they feel so bad about scaring her.
One of my favorite things about her, SHE SLEEPS THROUGH THE NIGHT!!! Last night she slept from 8:30 until 6 am. I didn't get that lesiure with the boys until they were about 18 months!



Spaceship "Frankie"
You've heard about the Challenger and Apollo 13 but the true unsung hero is Spaceship Frankie! Brayden's latest thing when he goes to bed everynight is to ask what our plans for the following day are. He asked me one night and honestly I had no idea what we were going to do the next day so I thoughtlessly replied, "Flying to the moon." Boy did the questions fly.
"How are we going to get there?"
"A space ship of course."

"But we don't have one."
"We'll build one?"

"What about food, we're going to starve"
"Don't worry, the moon is made of cheese, we'll have plenty to eat."

"But Mom, I can't go that long without going shi shi (pee)."
"I'll make sure the spaceship has a toilet."

The questions went on and on and on. I went to bed not thinking too much of it. At 6am Brayden came into the room wearing his "hard hat" (a firemans hat) kicking me out of bed.
"Mom, hurry, hurry! We have so much to do today. Let's build the spaceship in the front yard cause if we blast off inside we'll put a whole in the roof and theres too many trees in the backyard."
So, off to the front yard we went and Spaceship Frankie was created with all the conviences of earth included!



Living Room Campout!
Last weekend Junior took the 11 year-old scouts on a campout. The boys were bummed they didn't get to go so we had a campout in the living room. We constructed a giant fort, ate dinner in there, our neighbor provided fresh popped popcorn and movies, we played with flying baloons and had a great night! The campout didn't last through the night though. At about 1am I snuck upstairs so I could be closer to Kalei in case she woke up. Brayden noticed I was gon about 2am but was too tired to figure his way out of the fort and started crying. I got him and brought him upstairs but then he was worried about Tavita being downstiars all alone. So the campout was moved to my bed. Despite lack of sleep, we had fun!



Remote control cars = a little boys dream.
So my parents had a 2 hour lay over at the beginning of the month in Salt Lake. We met up with them and went to breakfast at McDonalds. While with them Brayden recieved some Wolverine Claws (something he's wanted for a long time but the ones in stores are these giant hard plastic things, Grandma was awesome and made some) And Tavita landed himself a remote control car. Then Brayden got one from a friend for his birthday. Needless to say their new favorite pastime is racing their cars. At one point Tavita was running away from his own car around and around in circles. Obviously he hasn't quite mastered the concept enough to know if he just lifted his hands off the control, the car would've stopped chasing him!



Summer Fun!
One of the boys all time favorite activities is washing the car. Their favorite part...washing the roof. They love climbing on the top when their done they use the windshield as a slide down. I remember doing this as a kid and it makes me laugh when my boys do the same exact thing!
In the picture of Tavita with cotton candy on his head, we had bought some at a Pioneer Day celebration. He took some off, stared at if for awhile trying to figure out what it was, got a huge smile on his face and stuck it on his head. Apparently it looks like bubbles from a bath!
I've said it once, I'll say it a million times, summer is by far my FAVORITE time of year. But lets be honest, all the sun and fun can be exhausting at times. I find my boys sleeping in some of the funniest places during the summer.











Our Garden
This was the first year we've attempted a garden and have had a pretty good turnout. We've gotten tomatoes, cilantro, bell peppers, jalepeno, green chilis, cucumber, zuccini and have celery growing, don't know if it'll turn edible or not apparently is next to impossible to grow here in Utah. The boys love going into the garden each day and collecting the bounty. At times Brayden feels the need to dress like a farmer so he can milk the cows as well. Apparently this requires some grass between the teeth!



Discovery Park
They have a great park up in Pleasant Grove that is every kids dream. It's a giant wooden fort that goes on forever with all sorts of different activities. The kids could last for hours, despite all the things that are unique to this park, Tavita's favorite was still the "wee" (swing). While the boys played, Kalei played with this facinating new discovery of hers, her tounge!





Dinosaur Museum
There's a palce called Thanksgiving Point that has all sorts of different things to do. One of which, and the boys favorite, is a giant dinosaur museum. Every Tuesday in August the admission is only $2. My good friend Tracey and I braved the HUGE crowds and took our kids. It was chaos but the boys had fun. They loved being able to dig for dinosaur bones.





Dance Party
Brayden and Tavita know how to GET DOWN!!! They have entertained many a crowds with their moves. If we ever need a break, on goes the music and they bust it out. And yes, sometimes we do dance around naked, hence the reason there are no pictures of me on here :-)!!!




Okay, if you're half as exhuasted from reading this as I am from typing it then I'm sorry. Here's the Shum family signing off until next time!

6 comments:

Melyssa said...

You have such adorable kids - and you are seriously putting us other mothers to shame....spaceship freddy! Wow! You have also inspired me to try and journal/blog more often, time does fly by WAY too quickly. :)

Heidi Mae said...

LOVE that picture of Brayden and the shark!

Staci said...

I wasn't trying to guilt you into blogging every day!:) But I'm always glad when I post pictures so that I can go back and look at them later...since my blog is my journal. That was a fun post with lots of CUTE PICTURES of your kids!!! How fun! I can't believe how big your sweet little girl is!

I heard you are coming to town soon??? PLEASE lets get together & play at least once!

Unknown said...

That is hilarious that you have naked dancers! LOVE IT! Summer sure sounded like a lot of fun!!

kuaback said...

Kalei looks like her dad...and the garden is beautiful..so as the talented gardeners..hehe

David and Carol Orme said...

Oh so much fun! I still say I have the cutest grandkids!
Brayden looks like he is waiting for that shark to eat him. Tavita looks like he is sure cotton candy belongs on your head not in your mouth. And Kalei is just plain cute.